I totally forgot to post my Five Things I Learned This Week post last week as I spent the weekend in Virginia for my cousin’s wedding. So this week I’m posting five things I learned over the last two weeks. Enjoy.
- I am a southern girl born and raised and really am not fond of cold & winter weather. I know that Virginia is still in the south but there really is a big difference between Chattanooga, TN and the mountains of Charlottesville, VA. It was cold last weekend in Charlottesville and we even had a bit of wintery weather. We had planned a trip to a couple of wineries but, as we were driving there, it began to snow. Now I am not a total wimp, but I do tend to be a bit paranoid when the snow starts sticking to the ground and/or roads. My hubby thought we could still make it but I didn’t want to get snowed in (which was funny as I honestly don’t think there was that much snow looking back). This is why northerners laugh at us warm weather southerners when we actually do get snow. I know I’m laughing at myself now as I look back.
- Homemade gifts take time. I got the bright idea that I was going to save some money by making a good many of our Christmas gifts this year. I know in my head that homemade gifts take time. I just didn’t realize how much time in some cases. So here I am the weekend before Christmas and I will be spending large amounts of time with my mother-in-law who is teaching me to sew so that I can finish the gifts. I’m usually more on top of things than this.
- There is less time this year for the holidays than I thought. I knew going in to Thanksgiving that there was one less week between Turkey Day and Christmas. I just didn’t realize how that one less week would affect me. All I can say is that Christmas and my hubby’s birthday (Dec. 18th) really snuck up on me. The good news is that I think all my gifts are bought (or will completed this weekend – see #3). The bad news is that half my decorations never made it up, the gifts are not wrapped and we just got gifts shipped to family in New England yesterday. Again, I am usually more on top of things than this.
- No training plan goes perfectly. This is another thing that I know in my head. I mean my training for the Dumbo Double Dare this summer went out the window when I developed Plantar Fasciitis. But I was determined to have a better training plan going into my half marathon in March. And I was going to stick to it. Yeah, I’m now three weeks behind already and I just started. I had every intention of running in Virginia last weekend; I even brought all my cold weather running gear with me. But I never made it to the jogging trails. Not once. So I have now revamped my schedule a bit and am hoping to get back on track by the middle of January.
- Sometimes you just need a weekend to unplug. While I did have my phone and IPad with me last weekend in Virginia and the estate had free wi-fi, I managed to unplug from technology mostly. I had very few Facebook posts (mostly pictures for the family members who couldn’t come), no blog posts, no tweets and I checked email only a couple of times. It was rather nice I have to say. I admit I am a bit of a social media junkie so it was hard for me. But my husband and I had a fabulous getaway and saw family members we don’t get to see often. And I came back relaxed and refreshed and ready to tackle what the world would throw at me.
Here are a few pictures of my hubby and I at the wedding: