It’s my favorite day of the week – Friday! This week, I am beginning a new, weekly post series – Five Things I’ve Learned This Week Friday. So without further ado, here are the 5 Things I learned this week:
1. Reflectors are essential. So I’m at home getting ready to go for my evening run after work and look out the door to find the sun is setting – at 5:30 in the evening. Gotta love this time of year. This means that my entire run yesterday was in low light and darkness. Luckily, my shoes, shirt and headband all have reflectors on them so I can be seen so I had no problems with cars on the road seeing me. To go a step farther, I also recommend headlamps and/or lighted armbands (I have the NiteBeams version) as well. See my post on being safe while running in the dark.
2. Price and quality matter when it comes to headphones. I bought new earbuds this week to use on my runs. My hubby was not happy with the $30 price tag of my Yurbuds Focus for Women, but after wearing them on my run, I have to say they are well worth the money. See my review here.
3. A themed 5K is a great way to get your friends and family involved in running. I have been trying for the last year and a half since I took up running to convince family and friends who are not runners to do a 5K with me to see how much fun running can be. Up to now, I’ve had no takers. However, this week my aunt and cousin signed up for the Duck Dash 5K in Atlanta on Dec. 21st and I will be joining them. We are all huge duck dynasty fans so the chance to see one of the stars of the show at the start and finish line convinced them that they could do this. Oh and the free beard and bandana didn’t hurt either.
4. Glasses really make a difference. So this one isn’t running related but I got a new pair of glasses this week. While I am not required to wear them 24/7 (I am only slightly off of 20/20 vision), I do have astigmatysm and with that comes some tension headaches. So I am wearing them almost all the time and my eyes thank me. The funniest thing was watching tv for the first time with them on. All of a sudden I realized what the fuss about HD was (even though I have had a HD tv with HD satellite service for over two years now).
5. Cooking in the crockpot rocks. Since the weather has been getting colder, I have been cooking up a storm in my crockpot. Everything from soups and stews to oatmeal to casseroles. And I’ve been freezing the leftovers. So when winter showed its face this week, I was very thankful for the brunswick stew and potato soup and pumpkin oatmeal and quinoa vegetable chili that I had stored up. It has been a very yummy and warm lunch time this week.