Hello divas and happy Friday! I am so glad this week is almost done and the weekend is almost here. I am also excited that I will be running the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure on Sunday afternoon in support of one of my favorite causes, breast cancer awareness. Be sure to check back on Monday for all the photos and fun of the race.
It is Friday here at Divas Run for Bling which also means that it is time for another edition of Five Things Friday. The one thing I have been struggling with the most is finding the balance between cutting calories to lose weight and still fueling for my running and other workouts. So today I am sharing my five favorite fitness fuels for before, during and after a workout.
- Bagel with almond butter. For those days that I can actually eat breakfast before I workout (i.e. not a race day), this is my favorite thing to eat if I know I will be getting sweaty shortly after I eat. I stick to plain bagels in this case because they are more easily digestible.
- Protein shake. As you probably already know, I have horrid race stomach before races. My digestive system just gets all wonky the day of a race. So for race mornings or those days when I have to run at 5:30am, a simple protein shake usually does the job. My favorite is to take half a scoop of chocolate royale SlimFast, half a scoop of chocolate peanut butter protein powder (I use Elite Fusion 7 for this) and a cup of vanilla almond milk and mix it together for a fabulous, nutrient filled drink. This combo is also fabulous for a post-workout recovery shake as well.
- Huma Chia Gels. These are my go-to fuel during my long runs and races. They are all-natural, made with chia seeds which I LOVE and easy on the stomach.
- Smoothies. If I have finished a long race or long run (or completed 2 Shaun T. workouts for that matter), I will usually make myself a smoothie. These are super easy to make and you can use whatever you have in the kitchen. I always add some protein powder of some sort to my smoothies for an extra recovery and nutrient boost. I have shared several protein smoothie recipes here on the site so be sure to check them out.
- Chocolate milk. This is one of my favorites to have after ANY workout. It is a great combo of protein and carbs that are needed to recover for your sweat session. And it’s sweet and yummy so it’s almost like having a special treat.
[Tweet “What are your favorite fitness fuels? Check out mine via @divasrunbling”]
What are your favorite fuels for a workout?