Hello divas and happy hump day! Yep it is already Wednesday and I for one am glad that this week is moving along so far. It is Wednesday here at Divas Run for Bling which means it is time for another edition of Workout Wednesday.
If you have been keeping up with the blog recently, you know that I have been working my way through Shaun T’s Focus T25 program. Well the first 5 weeks (the Alpha Cycle) is complete and I am ready to share my thoughts on the program and results (so far).
The Alpha cycle consists of 6 workouts that you do over the course of 5 days each week (you will do 2 workouts on one of those days). You will typically do one of the workouts twice each week based on the program calendar except for the final week when you do one of the workouts three times and leave one out. Each workout is exactly 25 minutes. I absolutely love the concept of this program. I mean it is super easy to carve 25 minutes into your day to get a workout it.
The workouts were challenging and had modifications if you can’t do a particular move or, like in my case, you can’t do as many as the fitness pros. The workouts in this cycle also require no extra equipment so all you need is time and a tv/dvd player. So you are probably wondering what I thought about the workouts themselves so here goes.
- Cardio. This is a intense workout designed to get the heartbeat up and running. I liked this workout a lot. The moves were super easy and easily modifiable. And I got a sweat on very early in the workout.
- Speed 1.0. This was my absolute favorite workout. It consists of moves designed to increase your speed and agility. Basically you do some speed/agility moves followed by some stretching. A lot of these moves reminded me of some of the stuff I used to do in cheerleading (it was that bouncy) and Shaun T. even includes some kickboxing moves as well.
- Total Body Circuit. This was the hardest of the workouts for me and my least favorite. I just don’t like burpees that much (though I managed to work my way up to a few). But I found a move I hate even more – the pike-up. However, it is a great workout that combines cardio, abs and strength. I can thank the definition I am starting to get in my arms to this one.
- Ab Intervals. This wasn’t too bad of a workout. As the name suggests, it is all about the core. And we are not talking about your typical crunches and planks (though there are some of those too). The workout is laid out to do a few moves on the floor followed by a short cardio interval then repeat.
- Lower Body. The last workout is lower body. We are talking about squats and lunges and everything you can think to do involving these. And my legs felt like jelly each time I did the workout.
Results So Far
- Weight: 162.5
- Chest: 40 inches
- Waist: 36 inches
- Hips: 41inches
- Arms:12 inches
- Legs: 23 inches
- Weight: 160
- Chest: 39 inches
- Waist: 35 inches
- Hips: 41 inches
- Arms: 12 inches
- Legs: 23 inches
As you can see, there wasn’t that much of a difference made in the past 5 weeks. I am not making excuses, but I do think that part of the problems had to do with my nutrition. I had a couple of week where I overindulged for one reason or another and then had to make up some major headway the following week. Also, my mileage wasn’t that big the past 5 weeks so my running didn’t help me lose pounds and inches like I originally planned.
Some good things have been happening though. I can tell that I am stronger and my endurance is improving. I have noticed some improvement in my running so far as well. But best of all is that, while the inches haven’t started to melt off yet, I can see some definition starting in my legs and arms (you may or may not be able to see in the photo). I joke around with the hubby that I have muscles now.
I am looking forward to working my way through the Beta Cycle over the next 5 weeks. These workouts build on what I did with Alpha and I am hoping for some changes in my body and weight since the intensity will be increasing. I am also trying to focus on my nutrition. The big thing for me is to just stop with the eating out. The last couple of weeks have been pretty bad in that area so I know that is a great starting point to work on my nutrition. I will also be running a half marathon and getting in some big miles which should help. I will be sure to keep everyone posted as I continue the program.
[Tweet “@focust25 alpha cycle is in the books! See how I did via @divsrunbling”]