Hello divas! I hope that you have had a fantastic holiday season and are getting back into the swing of things here in 2018.
The start of the new year gets me to thinking about goals. If you are like me, you sometimes have had a hard time setting resolutions or goals for the new year and sticking to them all year long. So today I thought I would share some easy tips to help you make your new years resolutions stick so you can reach all your health and fitness goals this year.
I am not a big fan of the word resolution; I prefer to set goals instead. I think it’s because I, like most people, have set resolutions in the past and not followed through. Let’s face it. They can be hard to keep. You have the best of intentions in January but, by June, life has gotten in the way and many of them have been forgotten. So here are some things to keep in mind when setting your resolutions/goals and sticking to them.
- Figure out EXACTLY what you want. This means your resolutions/goals need to be specific and have a time frame. While setting a goal to lose weight in 2017 is great, setting a goal to lose 20 lbs. by July is better.
- Start small. Having a goal to run a marathon is great, but it can also be daunting. When setting your resolutions/goals, it is smart to start small and have some mini-goals to help you get to you big goal. For instance, if you want to run a marathon, maybe set smaller goals to run a 5K by a certain time then a 10K, half and so on until you make it to your goal race.
- Make a realistic plan. The biggest problem many people have is that they have these grand plans of what they want, but it is not realistic. Make sure whatever goals you are aiming for are achievable for you.
- Reevaluate periodically. Speaking of a realistic plan, it is also smart to reevaluate your goals periodically. We all know that life gets in the way sometimes. You may get injured which might interfere with the marathon goal or cut into your gym time. Be honest and adjust your goals as needed.
- Share it. For me, once I share my goals, they become real. If my family and friends know that I have started a new program or signed up for a major race, they are going to ask how I am doing along the way. This will help keep me on track – at least most of the time.
**If you are looking for some added accountability to help you reach your health and fitness goals in the new year, let me know. I can help you find a fitness program that WORKS for you as well as help you figure out easy ways to fit clean and healthy eating (and meal planning) into your busy life. I also lead a private online Facebook accountability group to keep us all on track (myself included) as we get started in the new year. For more information, you can email me at [email protected]